Monday, September 17, 2007

Feldstein Stepped Down as President of NBER

Marking the end of an era, Martin Feldstein said he plans to step down as president of the National Bureau of Economic Research after 30 years. Under his tenure the NBER was revitalized to become probably the country's most important research network for academic economists. It also became the official arbiter of U.S. recessions and expansions. From WSJ's Economics Blog, I excerpt Dr. Feldstein's resignation letter:

Dear NBER Colleagues:

I am writing to tell you that this will be my last year as president of the NBER. I am doing this to have more time for writing, research, teaching, and other things. I will of course remain an active NBER Research Associate..

Serving as NBER president has been an intellectually and personally gratifying experience. There is nothing in my professional life that has given me greater satisfaction.

I will continue in my current position until June 2008. That will give the NBER Board ample time to identify my successor and for us to manage the transition together.

I am grateful to all of those who have worked with me during my years as president: the research associates and faculty research fellows, the directors of programs and working groups, the project leaders, and the small but highly effective staff at the NBER.

Sincerely
Marty Feldstein

No comments: